Thursday, April 23, 2009

Does God Promote Sports?

Since I have been in seminary, I have been tutored, lectured and advised to never neglect my family. Furthermore, to place my family only second to God. I've also been advised to allow my kids freedom (within reason) to live their childhood life.
Two of my boys love the game of baseball, they play year-round. And on occasion, I have allowed them to play on Sundays. Right or wrong, I made the decision to allow them the opportunity to play. In todays time, nearly all tournaments involve Sunday play. Since, I have surrendered to preach, I have limited their Sunday absences to only State tournaments (somehow in my mind these are more important).
I now find myself asking the question, when is enough, enough? My oldest, Dalton, was recruited by a Shreveport select team to play in the Select World Series in Fayetteville, Ark, due to an injury of a player. A scout for the San Diego Padres manages this team, he has called me and offered Dalton a spot on his team. At first, I'm happy for him, until I find out that they will be playing on at least 7 Sundays throughout the summer and the fact that the cost is more than I have in my savings account.
The coach pitches this "opportunity of a lifetime" speech. This is his junior year, this is the time he has to get his name across the country. They'll be playing at 7 college parks from Texas to Alabama with numerous college and pro scouts there. As well as dropping the price to $1000, which is still more than I really can afford, my wife has the philosophy that if you spend this much on one, you have to spend that much on the others. I have $4$ kids now!!!
But back to the major point, 7 SUNDAYS. Dalton is the type of kid who never asks for much, but he has asked to play. I know how colleges recruit, only about 30% of kids really get looked at by their high school stats. All colleges prefer "select" stats over high school, because of the level of competition.
People are offering him donations to pay for the cost, and my wife has approved of it, if he will raise the money. But, I find myself asking the question, Would God want his children playing sports at any level? All of our kids play little league, but if your child had the opportunity to play at the next level, would God want him to?
Give me some thoughts fellows, when is enough-enough? How can I preach Heb. 10:25 and allow my son to play a game and forsake the assembling?

9 comments:

  1. Do a word study on "forsake." It means to turn your back on something. Now, the question is, is your son turning his back on assembling with the church by missing seven Sundays for a shot at professional or college baseball?

    Also, "forsaking" in Hebrews 10:25 is a participle. The way I have preached this passage is that if you are doing what is taught in Hebrews 10:23-24, you won't be doing the forsaking in verse 25. So, Hebrews 10:25 is not a commandment to never miss church, it is a commandment to not let your heart be hardened where you turn your back on the church.

    God supporting sports? I don't know. But Paul made a lot of references to running to win the race. Then, there's Hebrews 12:1.

    This is a tough question, but I hope I've given some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother Tim...I am going to say this and I may be the bad guy but as a preacher and pastor and lover of sports...I say let him play.

    If you believe that this may end up in a college scholarship or that he could go on to play pro ball...you should let him on this condition:

    Can you trust him out by himself?

    God gives all types of talent...and our talents are a way to bring Him glory!

    I say to let the boy play...he will grow from this experience and I believe be a better young man for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know a lot about baseball, so let me ask. Would this 7 sunday streak grow if he did get the college scholarship and join the major leagues? Do they play on Sunday? Would this be a one time deal or a step-up to more and more missing of services?

    As to forsaking of assembling, I kind of feel if I make a choice between something I want to do and going to church, it is always forsaking (turning my back on) whereas if it something I NEED like medical attention or the boss forces me to work one Sunday a year and I haven't found another job opening, then it'd be wrong for me. I don't know about your situation, and I can't pass a judgment call one way or the other.

    I think it's going to be a tough decision you are going to have to make.

    I feel God's prescription for tough decisions (and easy ones) is as follows:

    1. Is it okay with the Bible? (No sin, no principles violated, etc.) If so, proceed to question 2.

    2. Do you have a peace or rest about it? (In the will of God, ask for rest either way. If I can't get a peace about something, I usually don't act.) If so, proceed to question 3.

    3. Do research, and make an educated decision based upon your understanding of every aspect of the situation. (Weigh pros and cons.)


    I know none of this is new to you, but sometimes we just need remember where to focus. If you do decide it is okay, and you'd like a small donation, give me a ring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bro. Tim, I will pray God will lead you to the right decision, but I think you already know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the comments. It has given me a lot to pray about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bro. Tim,
    First let me say, whatever decision you and your family make...I will not sit on a seat of judgment and condemn you. Kim and I have had long discussions about this very thing. We are nowhere near the point you and Wendy are with Dalton, but we have pondered what we would do should one of our boys have the opportunity to reach that level. Our prayer for our boys is... 1. Both be saved(we have one down and one to go) 2. Live for Jesus(regardless of what career they choose, if they will live for the Lord all will be well).

    But a closer look at #2 requires one to bring into consideration the issue of church attendance. If one is truly living for the Lord, it will be done through one of the Lord's churches. If my desire is for my boys to live for the Lord, will my desire(more importantly, God's expectations)be met by my boys only being "part time" attendees at church because of their careers?

    Man this is tough. Dangled before your son is the possibility of fame and fortune(Even if only at the collegiate level). Let's not fool ourselves, it is EVERY young ball player's dream.

    But he, and you as his parents, must decide if he can serve the Lord the way he should in the course set before him. If he can't, then the answer is no, don't pursue it. But if he can, then congratulations, go for it.

    I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your family may have already decided what to do...we all know that church is important. But if the choice is made to play baseball, the important thing is to be a Christian wherever a person is. Andy Pettite is not only known as a great pitcher, but a Christian. Nurses, policemen, firemen, all choose careers that they know will require work on Sunday.
    My concern (from personal knowledge) is that a coach will say only seven Sundays, but it would likely be 8, then 9, then 10...God bless & he can bless with either choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wife is a R.N and has never accepted a position which would require her to work on Sundays. In 16 years she has worked on 1 Sunday. She was on call and had to go in for an emergency surgery. To God be the glory, He has always opened up positions for her. But she also made the determination that she would never accept a position that would require her to work on Sundays. I believe God has blessed her decision.

    ReplyDelete